This user has not added any information to their profile yet.
Criminal Law and Criminal Justice; International Criminal Law; Prevention of Torture and Ill-treatment in Closed Institutions; Human Rights and Public Advocacy; Rule of Law
My view: (Please briefly describe your view on the three concepts below)
Dr. Tatoyan has served as the Human Rights Defender of the Republic of Armenia (RA) and Head of the National Preventive Mechanism (2016-2022) elected by the RA National Assembly. He has also served as an ad hoc judge in the European Court of Human Rights (2016-2019). His first mandate for the Council of Europe Committee of Ministers, European Committee for the Prevention of Torture (CPT), was as member in respect of Armenia in 2011-2013. He was re-elected to the CPT in 2019.
Dr. Tatoyan holds an LL.M. degree from the University of Pennsylvania Law School and is the recipient of the Distinguished Member Award of the LL.M. class of 2013. Prior to receiving his Ph.D. from the Yerevan State University (YSU) Faculty of Law, he completed the Wharton Business School Executive Education Program in Business and Law at the University of Pennsylvania. He also holds an academic rank of docent.
Dr. Tatoyan has served as RA deputy minister of justice (2013-2016) and as deputy representative (deputy agent) of Armenia in the European Court of Human Rights (2013 -2016). He has extensive professional experience in the RA Constitutional Court and Cassation Court, as well as in civil society and international organizations, including the United Nations (UN), the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE), the Council of Europe (CoE), and the United States Agency for International Development (USAID).
1. Scientific-practical Commentaries to the Decisions of the Cassation Court of the Republic of Armenia (co-authors: Mr. Arman Mkrtumyan, Dr. Davit Avetisyan, Mr. Hamlet Asatryan, Mr. Hovhannes Ghukasyan, Dr. Ruben Melikyan, Dr. Vahe Engibaryan, Mrs. Anna Vardapetyan), Yerevan, “Asoghik” Publishing House 2011, 402p. (Decisions on Criminal Cases);
2. Application of the European Standards of Human Rights and Basic Freedoms Protection in Criminal Procedure of the Republic of Armenia (co-authors: Dr., Prof. Gagik Ghazinyan, Dr. Samvel Dilbandyan, Dr. Armen Harutyunyan, Dr. Hrayr Ghukasyan, Dr. Davit Melkonyan). Yerevan, YSU Publishing House, 2010, 272p.;
3. “The Case Investigation in the System of Criminal-Procedural Functions (Comparative-legal Analysis)”, Yerevan, YSU Publishing House 2007, 208p. (in Russian).
1. “The Problems of Interrelation of Constitutional Court’s and Cassation Court’s Constitutional Statuses” in Papers and Materials of the International Conference dedicated to the 15th Anniversary of Armenian Constitution, Dilijan, Armenia, November, 2010, co-author: Dr. Ruben Melikyan (in Russian);
2. Two Articles in “Commentaries to the Constitution of the Republic of Armenia”, Yerevan, 2010, 1086p. (art. 19, Right to a Fair Trial – 221-236pp., art. 23(5), Right to Privacy – 283-285pp.), including article 19 (Right to a Fair Trial), co-authors – Dr., Prof. Gagik Ghazinyan, Dr. Ruben Melikyan and Dr. Davit Melkonyan, published within the State Events Dedicated to the 15th Anniversary of the Constitution of the Republic of Armenia;
3. “Comparative-legal Analysis of the Norms on Case Investigation in the Criminal Procedure of a Series of Foreign Countries”, “Judicial Power”, 2008, N 2-3/103-104, 61-74pp. (in Russian);
4. "The Case Investigation as the Investigator’s Main Function", “Collection of Conference Materials”, Legal Editing – Dr., Prof. Gagik Ghazinyan, YSU Law Faculty, 2007, 115-132 pp. (in Russian);
5. “Peculiarities of Correlation Between Prosecutor's Oversight and Criminal Prosecution in the Preliminary Stage of Criminal Procedure” Judicial Power, 2007, N 9/98, 10-17 pp., (in Russian);
6. “Procedural function of Criminal Prosecution and Its Forms”, “Judicial Power”, 2007, N 6-7/95-96, N 8/97, 24-30 pp., 16-31 pp., (in Russian);
7. “Preliminary Court Hearings in Criminal Procedure”, “The State and Law”, 2007, N 1 (35), 41-46 pp, (co-author – Dr., Prof. Gagik Ghazinyan);
8. “Diverse, Comprehensive and Objective Investigation Requirement of the Criminal Case Circumstances and Its Role in Implementation of the Case Investigation Function”, “Problems of Jurisprudence”, 2007, N 1, 48-57 pp., (in Russian);
9. “On the Role of Investigation Process in Criminal Procedure of the Republic of Armenia”, “The State and Law”, Yerevan, 206, N4 (34) 8-18 pp., (in Russian);
10. “On the Concept of functions of criminal procedure in the Theory of Criminal Procedure”, “The State and Law”, 2006, N1 (31) 16-25 pp, (in Russian);
11. “The System of Criminal Procedural Functions and the Peculiarities of their Correlation”, “The State and Law”, 2006, N 2-3 (32-33), 63-80 pp., (in Russian);
12. “The Correlation of Prosecutor's Oversight and Departmental Control during the Criminal Case Investigation”, “Legitimacy”, 2004, N 29, 17-22 pp.;
13. “The Concept of Criminal Procedural Functions and Its Notion”, “Law and Reality”, 2004, N 18-20 (104-106), 19-21 pp.;
14. “Criminal prosecution bodies in defining Borderlines of Responsibilities of Criminal case Allegation in Accordance with the RA Criminal Procedure Code”, “Legitimacy”, 2003, N 24, 35-38 pp.;
15. “Notion of Assessment of Evidences in Criminal Procedure” Legitimacy, 2003, N 22, 54-58 pp.;
16. “Prosecutor's Oversight over the Legitimacy of Criminal Case Investigation”, “Law and Reality”, 2003, N 11-12 (73-74), 36-39 pp.;
17. “Prosecutor's Oversight over the Detention Legitimacy”, “Collection of Scientific Papers Dedicated to the 70th Anniversary of the YSU Law Faculty”, Yerevan, 2003, 295-305 pp.;
18. “Role of the Moral Certainty During the Proof ”, “Problems of Jurisprudence”, 2003, N 1, 107-111 pp., (in Russian);
19. “The Concept and Significance of Preliminary Investigation”, “Problems of Jurisprudence”, 2002, N 4, 145-149 pp., (in Armenian);
20. “Common Conditions of Conducting Preliminary Investigation”, “Problems of Jurisprudence”, 2001, N 4, 120-127 pp. (in Armenian);
21. “Ethics of Advocates as a Type of Judicial Ethics”, “The State and Law”, 2000, N 4 (10), 71-75pp.;
22. “Guarantees of Ensuring Individual’s right to Immunity”, “Collection of Materials of the Second Pan-Armenian Student Conference on “Human Rights Protection Guarantees”, Yerevan, 2001, 87-93 pp.;
23. “Institutional Guarantees of Human Rights Protection”, “Collection of Materials of the First Pan-Armenian Student Conference on “Human Rights Protection Guarantees”, Yerevan, 2000, 87-93 pp.